Sunday Morning Scones
There’s a beauty in the simplicity of Sunday mornings. Coffee, newspaper and NPR in the background. These scones are a perfect addition. The recipe is adapted from Sheila Lutkins’ Dorset Scones in All Around the World.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled + cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup dried currants
- 1/2 sliced, toasted almonds
1. Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and nutmeg. Add cold butter and mix together until it resembles coarse meal. [Easiest way to do this is in a food processor, but using your hands to do the job works just fine!]
2. Whisk egg in small bowl and mix together with milk. Add to flour mixture and mix until dough forms large curds.
3. Knead in currants and almonds.
4. Make two round balls and flatten on greased pan. Cut each round into eighths.
5. Preheat over to 450F, bake for 15 min.